lot report for today…. holiday warmup show at the TU aka The Knick here in Albany… apparently a 3 set show… it’s cold as winter out, aka very cold… not much of a lot to report on, everyone is either inside or not here, it’s pretty empty, about 20 of us in attendance… setlist forthcoming….
(phish on shuffle, determining the show… 2995 songs in playlist, all of 09/10 and a scattering of other years, studio, etc. actual dates of tracks below,)
Knickerbocker Arena, Albany NY
(Holiday Tour Warmup Show)
1. Character Zero, Esther, First Tube, Slave to the Traffic Light, David Bowie > Shine A Light
2. Driver, Oh! Sweet Nuthin’, Tweezer > Taste, Sugar Shack, Contact, Llama, Timber (Jerry) > Punch You In The Eye > Dirt > Character Zero
3. Wolfman’s Brother, Colonel Forbin’s Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Bouncing Around The Room, Rock & Roll > Icculus, Harry Hood
E. You Enjoy Myself
Esther was played for the second time since September 30, 2000. The Bowie intro included a Simpsons signal. The Band left stage and took a regular 45 minute set break then time warped back to a minute after they left the stage to immediately begin the second set. Llama featured Jimmy Herring sitting in on guitar. Character Zero was repeated. The Band again time warped back in time after taking a normal break before the last set. The Forbin’s narration recalled the flood from Phish’s last Atlanta performance, on March 28, 1992. The Icculus narration centered on the fact that “you crazy kids” just don’t read anymore.
Thoughts: Wow shortish first set… the Bowie was smoking, just thought it would lead to so much more!! Slave was also real nice. Weird mid set First Tube. Zero opener was rocking!!
The crowd gasped when Driver opened second set…. I suppose in a true essence of a warmup show the second set is really warming up now after a Sweet Nuthin’ but now things are starting to get cold cold cold as we step into the freezer pleasing her with a tweezer. Taste sounded pretty good. Oops forgot to play just Live Phish list, very studio sounding Sugar Shack! Nice Contact! Llama with Jimmy Herring sitting in! Timber jam abrutbly switched into a PYITE. The Punch > Dirt > Zero was so good I originally forgot to mark Dirt in the setlist (had to go back), this was after I realized at the end of Zero I had already heard that to open the show.. which was pretty cool because Phish Shuffle ended up finishing the show with the same song it started with..
Wolfman’s 3rd Set Opener.. thinking okay, it is? a 3 set show? wasn’t sure if this was encore or not but it’s sounding more like another warmup set is coming…. Fun narration in mockingbird about the last time phish played atlanta, I think Trey forgot they were in albany or he’s just playing a joke on us. Third set has been fantastic so far! Pick up a book!! Satisfying Hood to finish the third set in a strange show that had no actual setbreaks even though the band went off stage twice for what appeared to be the start of a setbreak.. I dunno, thought it was strange. Great fun show though! Wish you were there :)
Only skipped a song if it was already played.
Skipped David Bowie (10/16/10)
1. Character Zero (8/7/10), Esther (8/1/09), First Tube (8/13/09), Slave to the Traffic Light (10/29/10), David Bowie (7/30/97) > Shine A Light (10/23/10)
815AM – 916AM
2. Driver (12/29/09), Oh! Sweet Nuthin’ (8/15/10), Tweezer (10/26/10) > Taste (3/6/09), Sugar Shack (Joy), Contact (Junta), Llama (2/19/93), Timber (Jerry) (12/14/95), Punch You In The Eye (4/2/98) > Dirt (8/14/10) > Character Zero (6/25/10)
917AM – 1033AM
3. Wolfman’s Brother (10/24/10), Colonel Forbin’s Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird (2/19/93), Bouncing Around The Room (10/10/10), Rock & Roll (8/1/09) > Icculus (8/14/09), Harry Hood (10/31/10)
1033AM – 1130AM
E. You Enjoy Myself (6/11/94)
1131AM – 1151AM